from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Eurasian bulbous herb (Allium schoenoprasum) in the lily family, having clusters of usually pink to rose-violet flowers and cultivated for its long, slender, hollow leaves. Often used in the plural.
- n. The leaves of this plant used as a seasoning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plant that is perennial (Allium schoenoprasum), related to the onion.
- n. The leaves of this plant used as a herb.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A filament of a stamen.
- n. A perennial plant (Allium Schoenoprasum), allied to the onion, having hollow cylindrical leaves used for seasoning. The young leaves are used in omelets, etc.
- n. the bulbous herb Allium Schoenoprasum used fresh as a mild onion-flavored seasoning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece cut off.
- n. In botany, the filament which supports the anther of a flower; a stamen.
- n. Same as cive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. perennial having hollow cylindrical leaves used for seasoning
It is supposed by some of the Welsh, and in some notes to a poem the author (Mr.P. Lewellyn) says he has been confidently assured, that the leek, as is generally supposed to be, is not the original emblem of Wales, but the sive, or chive, which is common to almost every peasant's garden.
Floriana's tuna tartare is strangely creamy and wan for my taste, but I polished off the paprika-spiked serving crackers referred to as "chive pancakes."
I race through Times Square with half a chive cream cheese bagel in my purse, the other half in my mouth.
The hors d'oeuvres were pretty nifty too: including Kluger's now-famous kabocha squash and ricotta bruschetta, and egg shells filled with chive oil and smoked sturgeon foam from four-star chef Daniel Humm.
It comes with chive mashed potatoes drizzled with Arbequina olive oil.
Dinner entrees run from $17 to $39 for the Rosemary Lamb Chops, grilled chops smoked à la minute with an Herb de Provence bouquet, goat cheese and chive gnocchi, with roasted eggplant with thyme and honey.
The Shoulder of Veal is served with chive mashed potatoes.
Dinner entrees run from $17 to $39 for the Rosemary Lamb Chops, grilled chops smoked Ã la minute with an Herb de Provence bouquet, goat cheese and chive gnocchi, with roasted eggplant with thyme and honey.
Nick Brandreth for The Wall Street Journal Seared ahi tuna steak with sesame chive crust and noodle salad.
For each plate, spring leeks, carrots, and asparagus are deftly tied in bundles with a blade of chive.