from The Century Dictionary.
- Having feet like cirri; specifically, pertaining to the Cirripedia. Also
- noun One of the Cirripedia.
- noun Also cirrhiped, cirrhipede, cirrhopod, cirrhopode, cirropod, cirropode.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) One of the Cirripedia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Any
barnacleor similar crustaceanof the infraclass Cirripedia
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun marine crustaceans with feathery food-catching appendages; free-swimming as larvae; as adults form a hard shell and live attached to submerged surfaces
Sorry, no etymologies found.
What train of wives and concubines was ever so ignominiously placed as the extra husbands carried among the scales of the careful female cirriped, lest she lose one or two!