from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- On this side: cisatlantic.
- Having a pair of identical atoms or groups on the same side of a plane that passes through two carbon atoms linked by a double bond. Used of a geometric isomer: cis-2-butene.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- On this side of, e.g. Cis-Neptunian object.
- Forming names of chemical compounds in which two atoms or groups are situated on the same side of some plane of symmetry passing through the compound.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A Latin preposition, sometimes used as a prefix in English words, and signifying on this side.
Latin, from cis, on this side of.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the Latin preposition cis ("on this side of"). (Wiktionary)