from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Those branches of public service that are not legislative, judicial, or military and in which employment is usually based on competitive examination.
- n. The entire body of persons employed by the civil branches of a government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In parliamentary forms of government, the branches of government that are not military, legislative or judicial, but work to apply its laws and regulations
- n. the body of civilian employees of any level of government, not subject to political appointment and removal, normally hired and promoted largely on the basis of competitive examination.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. all service rendered to and paid for by the state or nation other than that pertaining to naval or military affairs.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. government workers; usually hired on the basis of competitive examinations
From civil + service. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.