from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The loose back part of a coat that hangs below the waist.
- n. The skirts of a formal or dress coat.
- idiom on the coattails of As a result of the success of another: elected to office on the coattails of a popular governor.
- idiom on the coattails of Immediately following or as a direct result of: resigned on the coattails of the scandal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The flap at the back of a coat that hangs down, sometimes below the waist.
- n. Success of a figure, organization or movement that transfers to those who associate with it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the loose back flap of a coat that hangs below the waist.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the loose back flap of a coat that hangs below the waist
She had been laughin 'at a man 'cause his coattail was a-flappin' so funny whilst he was dancin ', and dem two Jezebels thought she was makin' fun of dem.
Coattail or not to coattail, that is the question in NH NH Democrats have the money so far for 2010 mid-terms View all » ...
At least that's the hope of Republican strategists, who for weeks have talked about a so-called coattail effect: the theory that a big win for the popular Republican governor could mean good things for the GOP in other statewide races.
Collectors also should look for what Kosovich calls coattail buttons or signs.
It is doubtful that "coattail" is going to become a causative verb in Vermont any time soon.
All in all, just the Newt's way of working the media so that if he doesn't get another chance at further damaging our country with political partisanship and using Sarah's coattail to get there he'll send Sarah as the substitue "malleable" obstructionist - scary indeed.
La Toya is tapping into a medium she has favored throughout her career: familial coattail riding.
He has used all of that bottled up rage against his enemies to perpetuate those relationships and help his protectors get ahead, taking him along on a coattail ride.
Considering the three equations together allows one to test whether the same economic variables affect each and to examine various serial correlation and coattail possibilities.
Wave elections emanate an sluggishness which generates a arrange of coattail effect.