from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A party or thing which compensates, pays or otherwise provides a compensation
- n. Any device used to compensate for something, notably to achieve a better balance
- n. A building control device used to deliver the compensation relationship or curve between the air temperature outside a building and the temperature of water or air provided to spaces or zones within the building for purposes of heating or cooling.
- n. One of several small magnets placed in the binnacle to neutralize the effect of the ship's metal on the compass
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, compensates; -- a name applied to various mechanical devices.
- n. An iron plate or magnet placed near the compass on iron vessels to neutralize the effect of the ship's attraction on the needle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which compensates.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Just like FLHunter said, if your archery hunting the angle compensator is priceless.
They also have a favorable review on the Nikon Coyte Special 4. 5-14x40 for $349 with bullet drop compensator and open aiming circles.
I like Nikon .... but if you are into archery, make sure to get the angle compensator
If we successfully transfer conventional matter to their anti-universe, and we get back an equivalent mass of anti-matter to our universe … Her voice tailed off as she made a tiny correction to the asymmetric compensator.
If you convert to a .460 Rowland make certain to include a compensator to dampen slide velocity to prevent damage.
He shoots a 3oo win mag with a boss compensator with the leupold rings on a nikon monarch bdc and the way he was shooting I figured the scope had a problem ... it did the rear scope ring mount broke the nipple that sticks out of the side and things got loose and canted.
A speeding black 1937 Cadillac with a Cutts compensator on a Colt tommy gun muzzle sticking out the back window?
Other cultures have employed methods similar to the Vulcan universal atmospheric element compensator, Commander.
Its. radiance stopped down by the compensator circuits, it spread corona and great wings of zodiacal light like nacre across the stars.
The Odin's hyper-compensator buffers had not been activated and its transitions could be measured and traced by any hypersensor station in the galaxy.