from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To express sympathy or sorrow: I condoled with him in his loss.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To grieve.
- v. To express sympathetic sorrow, to lament.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To express sympathetic sorrow; to grieve in sympathy; -- followed by with.
- transitive v. To lament or grieve over.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To speak sympathetically to one in pain, grief, or misfortune; use expressions of pity or compassion: followed by with before the person, and by on, for, or over before the subject of condolence.
- To commiserate personally; address words of sympathy to, on account of distress or misfortune.
- To lament or grieve over with another; express sympathy on account of; lament.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. express one's sympathetic grief, on the occasion of someone's death
The word "condole" made me strong; for now I do not think I am suffering at all.
Let me condole the believed family, however history will remember Bongo as a man who ruined his own country and ruled with an Iron hand.
When we went to Nagaa Hammady we were not rioting or calling for riot as they falsely accused us; the purpose of our visit was to condole our fellow Copts and to strengthen the same national unity that they claimed that we were damaging.
Only this, the most pressing business imaginable, could have prevented our presence at so sad an occasion to condole with you and Miss Gowan.
If Lovelace offered any further sympathies about the death of Elizabeth, they surely echoed those he had already sent: “I heartily condole with you the loss of your excellent lady; but we must all stoop to Fate.”
I was so proud that Hillary, Bill, and Chelsea spent time and money to go Wyoming to condole with all these oppressed people and to reassure them that help is soon on the way.
'Roots In Kashmir' condole the death of Shri Kuldeep Wali and pray to God almighty may his soul rest in peace and for strength, courage and solace to the family to bear the irreparable loss.
Indian Research Base, Maitri Antarctica and at National Centre for Antarctic & Ocean Research, Goa condole the death of Shri Kuldeep Wali and pray to God almighty may his soul rests in peace and for strength, courage and solace to the family to bear the irreparable loss.
JUSTICE FOR HIM. i condole with his family and relatives
But I condole with catholics of Minsk-Mohilev, who have such a modernist bishop now.