from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A weight used as a counterbalance.
- n. A force or influence equally counteracting another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A heavy mass of often iron or concrete, mechanically linked in opposition to a load which is to be raised and lowered, with the intent of reducing the amount of work which must be done to effect the raising and lowering. Counterweights are used, for example, in cable-hauled elevators and some kinds of movable bridges (e.g. a bascule bridge).
- v. To fit with a counterweight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A weight in the opposite scale; a counterpoise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. constitute a counterweight or counterbalance to
- n. a weight that balances another weight
When a suitable counterweight is added at one end so that the reaction on one fulcrum is zero, the block can be spun asymmetrically 180 degrees about the other, giving a horizontal displacement (here's the basic physics).
This climate should produce an a important, long-term counterweight to the problems of our economy as a whole.
Bahrain holds particular importance to Washington as the host of U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet, the main American counterweight to Iran's efforts to expand its military influence into the Gulf.
Israel's official response to J Street, which though less than two years old has been described as a counterweight to AIPAC, has gone from chill to cold-shoulder.
For me, playing the counterweight has been a dynamic experience.?
Leopold is the supposed inventor of the elevator aka the counterweight pulley.
UNASUR was created in May 2008 to serve as a continental organization that Chavez has described as a counterweight to the United States.
Israel's official response to J Street, which though it's been around for less than two years has been described as a counterweight to AIPAC, has been measured but far from welcoming.
Not a new Warsaw Pact, but some kind of counterweight to the hegemony of the U. S.Why do you think NATO is bombing you?
Remember it was only a generation ago that we helped create the Chinese hydra that we now face by trying to look at them a a 'counterweight' to Russia.