from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Curled or ruffled, as the margins of certain leaves.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Having curled, wavy or notched edges

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Having a crisped appearance; irregularly curled or twisted.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Having a crisped appearance. In botany, same as crisp, 2.
  • In entomology, specifically applied to a margin which is disproportionately large for the disk, so that it is uneven, rising and falling in folds which radiate toward the edge. If these folds are curved, the margin is said to be undulate; if they are angular, corrugate. Also crisp.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • adj. wavy or notched and curled very irregularly


Latin crispātus, past participle of crispāre, to curl, from crispus, curly; see sker-2 in Indo-European roots.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)


Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • JM shudders at the thought of a crispate wave in the manner of a Mexican Wave.

    March 10, 2010

  • And what does Cris say about you, I wonder?

    August 4, 2009

  • a source of irritation

    August 4, 2009

  • Irregular and wrinkled. I feel this way sometimes. ;-)

    June 12, 2007