from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having or forming a crest or crista.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a crest; crested
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Crested.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In botany, crested; tufted; having some elevated appendage like a crest or tuft.
- In zoology, crested; having a crest or tuft, particularly on the head; having a tuft, mane, or ridge on the upper part of the head, body, or tail. Crested is more commonly used.
- Carinate or keeled, as the breast-bone of a bird.
Latin cristātus, from crista, tuft; see sker-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)