from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various often carnivorous marsupials of the family Dasyuridae of Australia, Tasmania, and adjacent islands, including marsupial mice and rats, native cats, the Tasmanian devil, and the Tasmanian wolf.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various Australasian carnivorous marsupials, of the family Dasyuridae, which include the marsupial equivalent to cats
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A carnivorous catlike marsupial quadruped of Australia, belonging to the genus Dasyurus, called also native cat. There are several species.
- n. any of several related animals, such as the Tasmanian devil; -- called also ursine dasyure.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal of the subfamily Dasyurinæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of several more or less arboreal marsupials somewhat resembling martens
1895 OW 1886 OW Fully fifty-four of my discoveries have to do with land animals: alcine elk, moose W dasyurine dasyure antelopine antelope W (1839-47) OW aspine asp 1644 O didelphine opossum bisontine bison 1885 - 1847 OW