from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A hollow or crack in timber.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. See dak.
  • n. A hollow, crack, or cut, in timber.
  • transitive v. To cut or mark with an incision; to gash.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To cut or mark with an incision.
  • n. A hollow or an incision, as in timber.
  • n. See dak.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • From Open Minded Ethics: 'Dawk, v. To make a sweeping appraisal of something while at a distance from it so great that you cannot see it properly. “I tried to get him to consider Rowan Williams’ collection of poems carefully, but he was too busy dawkin’ at them.�?'

    March 4, 2008