from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. The angle between a horizontal line drawn from the keel and the angle of the garboard and its attachment to the keel
  • n. a straight rise of bottom or floor extended out from the side of the keel at whatever angle of rise a particular boat design calls for.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Great word!

    October 29, 2007

  • A deadrise is the measurement of the angle between the bottom of a boat and its widest beam. A zero-degree deadrise is a flat bottom; high numbers indicate deep V-shaped hulls.

    A Chesapeake Bay deadrise, however, is a certain type of boat. I didn't know about deadrise being a general measurement when I added this word. Learn somethin' every day.

    October 29, 2007