from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • adj. Botany Bent or turned abruptly downward at a sharp angle: deflexed petals.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Bent downward, as branches, leaves, or hairs.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Bent abruptly downward.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Deflected; specifically, in zoology, bent down: as, a deflexed margin.


From Latin dēflexus, past participle of dēflectere, to bend; see deflect.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Turned abruptly downward.

    May 11, 2008