from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To remove the glaze from (pottery, for example).
  • transitive v. To dissolve the remaining bits of sautéed or roasted food in (a pan or pot) by adding a liquid and heating.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. To remove glaze from.
  • v. To abrade the cylinders of an engine to ensure a tight seal.
  • v. (cooking) To detach small pieces of cooked food from a pan by adding liquid, so that they can be used in further cooking.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • transitive v. To remove the glaze from, as pottery or porcelain, so as to give a dull finish.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To remove the glaze from.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. dissolve cooking juices or solid food in (a pan) by adding liquid and stirring


de- +‎ glaze (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.