from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To deprive of or lose apparent physical substance; make or become immaterial: Mirrors have the effect of dematerializing a wall. The dry ice seemed to dematerialize as it sublimated.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. to disappear by becoming immaterial
- v. to cause something to disappear by becoming immaterial
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To deprive of material or physical qualities or characteristics.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To divest of material qualities or characteristics.
- In mod. spiritualism, to dissolve and disappear, as alleged, after materialization.
- Also spelled dematerialise.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. become immaterial; disappear
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Yotes have circled the carcass while I was dressing on more than a few occasions, and I've seen just little glimpses of them as the dematerialize back into the cover when I'm approaching the kill.
This allows us to successfully dematerialize and then rematerialize the object.
Instead, she arrives just in time to watch Taguchi hang himself, then dematerialize through a wall, leaving a sooty black burn-and the disc.
You don't dematerialize and reappear; you travel through time and space to your destination.
You can't do this everywhere—that would be overkill—but layering helps dematerialize solid surfaces and makes small, eccentric spaces feel rich.
Sleekly groomed staff materialize and dematerialize, like the best English butlers.
To prove that even without the ability among other things to bench press 700 pounds, dematerialize or retract one's teeth humans are...creative, competent, can kick a*s and have...resolve!
Isobel waited for Gwen to disintegrate, dematerialize, or melt.
I barely even look at the city, I just zip there, run to the merchants, unload my junk, and dematerialize to my next location.
The ship pitches and yaws as we dematerialize and shakes the entire time we are in flight.