from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To determine beforehand; preordain: a foolish scheme destined to fail; a film destined to become a classic.
- transitive v. To assign for a specific end, use, or purpose: money destined to pay for their child's education.
- transitive v. To direct toward a given destination: a flight destined for Tokyo.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To preordain
- v. To assign something (especially finance) for a particular use
- v. To have a particular destination
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To determine the future condition or application of; to set apart by design for a future use or purpose; to fix, as by destiny or by an authoritative decree; to doom; to ordain or preordain; to appoint; -- often with the remoter object preceded by to or for.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To set apart, ordain, or appoint to a use, purpose, office, or place.
- To appoint or predetermine unalterably, as by a divine decree; doom; devote.
- Synonyms To intend, mark out, consecrate, dedicate, decree, allot.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. decree or designate beforehand
- v. design or destine
Atalent and beauty, she was destine to take paths that were hers to conquer.
We did not pull all our Troop out of Korea and they apprieated to this day but we gradually let them take over there own destine and boy look at them now.
These creative constraints he placed came from a deep conviction in his own values -- and also seemed to destine him for limited impact.
Tomorrow they direct you to state run hospitals, destine to eventually become like the hospital featured in One-Flew-Over-the-Cuckcoo's Nest.
With three weeks left for Congress to act, the presidential nominees and members seem more inclined to disagree over short-term reprieves than dare to destine an enduring alternative to sustain future generations.
As for Ahsoka … well this is just my best guess on it since there has been nothing said about her main role in the new series but the writing is on the wall … she is destine to become a tragic hero.
In the old days, it was easy for the vast majority of American Christians to believe that, say, Jews and homosexuals to name but two of the many, many groups Christians traditionally so destine are going to hell.
Alas, Space-X is destine to run into the great wall of ITAR eventually.
Judge Sotomayor is destine for Court ... she has the gifts, not given on her own, but endowed to her by a Glorious Creator!
If there was ever a reason to doubt that Marco Rubio was destine to help bring America to ruin, it can be wiped away now.