from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To select from a number of possible alternatives; decide on and pick out.
- transitive v. To prefer above others: chooses the supermarket over the neighborhood grocery store.
- transitive v. To determine or decide: chose to fly rather than drive.
- intransitive v. To make a choice; make a selection: was used to doing as she chose.
- choose up To choose players and form sides or teams for a game, such as baseball or softball.
- idiom cannot choose but Can only do; cannot do otherwise: We cannot choose but to observe the rules.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To elect.
- v. To pick.
- v. To decide to act in a certain way.
- conj. The binomial coefficient of the previous and following number.
- n. The act of choosing; selection.
- n. The power, right, or privilege of choosing; election.
- n. Scope for choice.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- intransitive v. To make a selection; to decide.
- intransitive v. To do otherwise.
- transitive v. To make choice of; to select; to take by way of preference from two or more objects offered; to elect.
- transitive v. To wish; to desire; to prefer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To select from two or more; make a choice of in preference to another or others, or to something else.
- To prefer and decide: with an infinitive as object: as, he chose to make the attack.
- To prefer to have; be inclined or have a preference for.
- Synonyms Choose, Prefer, Elect, Select, fix upon, pitch upon, adopt. Choose is the most general of these words, but always represents an act of the will; it is the taking of one or some where all are not wanted or cannot be had. Choice may be founded upon preference or modified by necessity. Prefer represents a verdict of the judgment or a state of the inclination; it emphasizes more than does choose the leaving of the rest: he who prefers apples to oranges will choose apples when he has the opportunity of choice; one may by inclination prefer to work at night, but, on grounds of health, choose to work only by day. Elect has an exact use in theology; its principal use otherwise is to express the choice of persons, by ballot or otherwise, for office, membership in societies, etc.: as, to be elected alderman or treasurer; to elect certain studies in a college is to choose them formally. Select represents a careful, discriminating choice.
- To elect; make a choice; decide.
- To prefer; desire; wish.— To have one's choice; do as one pleases.
- To direct one's steps; choose one's way.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. see fit or proper to act in a certain way; decide to act in a certain way
- v. select as an alternative over another
- v. pick out, select, or choose from a number of alternatives
I actually consider these games more interesting than those that only allow the player to do “good”, and while I typically choose to follow the “good” path, I like that I had to actually *choose* to follow it.
It may be true that we can act as we choose, but can we _choose_?
Thus, in "I may write if I choose," "may write" is by some classified as in the potential mood, but in reality the phrase _I may write_ is an indicative one while the second clause, _if I choose_, is the expression of a condition upon which, not my liberty to write, depends, but my actual writing.
For superdelegates, most of whom are active politicians, to choose is to lose the support of either the Obamaniacs or the Hillary-ites in their state or district.
Beautiful wreathes made of fragrant greens, lights twinkling in a multitude of colors, ornaments glittering, Christmas stockings … you can choose from a variety of unique designs.
These being said, you can choose from a variety of upholstery fabrics and acrylic, wood, or steel legs.
* One free wordpress blog setup + one year of free hosting; user will supply his/her own domain name and choose from a wide range of themes - from badlittlemonkey and rintrahroars
One free wordpress blog setup + one year of free hosting; user will supply his/her own domain name and choose from a wide range of themes - from badlittlemonkey and rintrahroars: tonithegreat!
Customers can choose from a selection of products including olives, cheeses, cold meats and fish.
I felt we should choose from the Mexican flag: red, white or green.