from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Intense or unrestrained sexual craving.
- n. An overwhelming desire or craving: a lust for power.
- n. Intense eagerness or enthusiasm: a lust for life.
- n. Obsolete Pleasure; relish.
- intransitive v. To have an intense or obsessive desire, especially one that is sexual.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A feeling of strong desire, especially of a sexual nature.
- n. A general want or longing not necessarily sexual or devious.
- n. A delightful cause of joy, pleasure.
- v. To very strongly desire.
- v. To crave sexual contact urgently.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Pleasure.
- n. Inclination; desire.
- n. Longing desire; eagerness to possess or enjoy; -- in a had sense.
- n. Licentious craving; a strong sexual appetite.
- n. Hence: Virility; vigor; active power.
- intransitive v. To list; to like.
- intransitive v. To have an eager, passionate, and especially an inordinate or sinful desire, as for the gratification of the sexual appetite or of covetousness; -- often with after.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Desire, inclination, or wish in general.
- n. Intense longing desire; eagerness for possession or enjoyment: as, the lust of gain.
- n. Specifically Evil propensity; depraved affection or desire.
- n. In absolute use, carnal desire; sexual appetite; unlawful desire of sexual pleasure; concupiscence.
- To desire eagerly; long: with after or for.
- To take pleasure; delight; like.
- Specifically To have evil desire.
- To have carnal desire: with after.
- A Middle English form of list .
- n. Pleasure; delight; a source of pleasure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have a craving, appetite, or great desire for
- n. a strong sexual desire
- n. self-indulgent sexual desire (personified as one of the deadly sins)
Sexual attraction alone and what we describe as lust, passion or other less mysterious motivations do not answer the question.
He takes what we call lust, and makes of it the main motive force in his vivid and terrible sketches.
Apparently all women fall head over heels in lust with him and that a mature and realistic attitude to work is for lesser people.
Shame the only thing holding DADT together (at least as a social issue) are these fundie idiots who still think that every gay man or gay woman who sees them will fall hopelessly in lust with them, and fall over themselves with their crazed lust to try and have their way with the fundies.
If the child is conceived not in lust but in love, it is rightly born.
Hormonally driven teenage lust is not a template for how adults should behave.
The couple's lips met and the next two hours were consumed by intense lovemaking that eventually drained all the lust from the barbarian's powerful body.
Shannon County rates “bad” in lust and gluttony and comes near that ranking in sloth and envy.
Shannon County  rates “bad” in lust and gluttony and comes near that ranking in sloth and envy.
But lust is lust and things tend to even out in the end.