from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Containing two replaceable hydrogen atoms.
- adj. Of or relating to salts or acids forming salts with two atoms of a univalent metal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. (of an acid) containing two replaceable hydrogen atoms
- adj. (of a salt) having two atoms of a univalent metal
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having two acid hydrogen atoms capable of replacement by basic atoms or radicals, in forming salts; bibasic; -- said of acids, as oxalic or sulphuric acids. Cf. diacid, bibasic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as bibasic.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Acids yielding two hydrogen ions in solution are called dibasic acids.
Then we have the so-called dibasic phosphate of lime, the form into which soluble phosphate in superphosphate is converted when "reversion" takes place.
A colorless dibasic acid of slight solubility, found in human and animal urine.
_ -- The liquors from B were found to contain saccharic acid: the acid from C and B contained a dibasic acid which appeared to be tartaric acid.
Acids 106 binary 113 characteristics 106 definition 107 dibasic 159 familiar 106 monobasic 159 nomenclature 113 organic 405 preparation 141 strength 111 ternary 113 undissociated 107
[Greek: b] - digallic acid, one of two dibasic isomers having the composition --
-- Just before the end-point is reached, a very slight opalescence may be noted in the fluid, due to the precipitation of dibasic phosphates.
Soluble ferrocyanides, ferricyanides, and sulphocyanides of various metals, by forming dibasic salts with potassium, sodium, or ammonium, in conjunction with vegetable, animal, or metallic coloring matters.
VISICOL® (sodium phosphate monobasic monohydrate, USP, and sodium phosphate dibasic anhydrous, USP) Tablets, APRISO ™ (mesalamine) extended-release capsules 0.375 g.,
Other Ingredients: Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (capsule), dibasic calcium phosphate, maltrin, colloidal silicon dioxide, and magnesium stearate.