from The Century Dictionary.
- Having two gills; specifically, in cephalopods, pertaining to the Dibranchiata.
- noun A cephalopod of the order Dibranchiata; a dibranch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective (Zoöl.) Having two gills.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective zoology Having two
- noun zoology Any of the
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun cephalopods having two gills
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is said truly that the Ammonite, Orthoceras, and Nautilus of these ancient rocks were of the tetrabranchiate division, and none of them so highly organised as the Belemnite and other dibranchiate cephalopods which afterwards appeared, and some of which now flourish in our seas.