from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various marine mollusks of the class Cephalopoda, such as the octopus, squid, cuttlefish, or nautilus, having a large head, large eyes, prehensile tentacles, and, in most species, an ink sac containing a dark fluid used for protection or defense.
- adj. Of, relating to, or belonging to the class Cephalopoda.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any mollusc, of the class Cephalopoda, which includes squid, cuttlefish, octopus, nautiloids etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Cephalopoda.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or resembling the Cephalopoda. Also cephalopodan, cephalopodous.
- n. A member of the class Cephalopoda. Also cephalopodan, cephalopode.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. relating or belonging to the class Cephalopoda
- n. marine mollusk characterized by well-developed head and eyes and sucker-bearing tentacles
The giant squid is an "eat the crew, ask questions later" kind of cephalopod
I was also somewhat at a loss as to what kind of cephalopod-related picture I could post in honor of PZ's 50th not a lot of squid in northeastern California!
Sorry, I’m pretty sure that’s not Darwin, but some kind of cephalopod space alien.
This summer, he's been hired by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to journey to the Philippines and the remote Pacific ocean and study the mysterious cephalopod Nautilus, a living fossil over 500 million years old that just might be reaching the end of its expansive evolutionary rope.
In a titanic clash of science and sensationalism, this crafty cephalopod was conjectured to be the "most intelligent invertebrate ever" -- so talented, in fact, that it sculpted "the earliest known self-portrait" using the bones of its prey.
Sadly, the psychic cephalopod passed away last night in his aquarium at the Oberhausen Sea Life Centre.
Every restaurant has the same menu -- grilled salmon, ahi encrusted in something, some kind of really expensive steak, and a pasta with a frozen shellfish or cephalopod.
Before commenting seriously on the news, I want to take a moment for Paul the Octopus, the psychic cephalopod who correctly predicted the outcome of eight World Cup soccer matches, including the final.
If it isnâ€ ™ t Conquest escaping his holding cell, itâ€ ™ s the cephalopod army readying their attack, or Eve discovering the test results are positive.
It's mostly action as the skull-headed robot is accidentally dragged from the bottom of the sea and has to save a fishing boat from an enormous cephalopod, but there are enough hints at 13's mysterious background and teases about his future to make me want to see what happens next.