from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of dive.
- n. The action of the verb to dive in any sense.
- n. The sport of jumping head first into water.
- n. The practice of swimming underwater, especially using a scuba system, and especially for recreation.
- n. Of, relating to or used in diving (jumping into water).
- n. Of, relating to or used in diving (swimming underwater).
- adj. That or who dives or dive.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. That dives or is used or diving.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an athletic competition that involves diving into water
- n. a headlong plunge into water
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Scuba diving is the closest I've ever come to religious ecstasy, to visiting an alien world, to becoming a weightless, disembodied spirit flying over a scene of perfect beauty -- and this captures that sensation neatly.
Scuba diving is all about seeing what is under the water and it is exciting when you see something new or beautiful and you can capture that in a peaceful moment.
It attempts to explain how scuba diving is a form of meditation for me.
I mean, the greatest thing about deep sea diving is the massive greasy water towers falling from space.
Scuba diving is a science and requires excellent communications between teacher and student - it's a matter of safety.
It was a weird-looking garment, as it was intended to fit on outside the armour arrangement which he called his diving suit; but it was merely intended to exclude the water, and when it was finished and fitted I saw that it would serve its purpose perfectly well, and there seemed to be no reason why he should not be able to work in it at the bottom of the sea perfectly well.
While he was in France he made what he called a diving-boat.
Very, very interested in diving into the full story of Personal Effects: Dark Art. I think it's the start of something big with regard to tiered storytelling.
Throughout the year, I practice regularly with rifle & pistol, but diving is a great part of what I enjoy and I hope to remain a cold-water diver as long as the Good Lord permits me to do so.
After depositing our groceries, we met a couple of friends and sauntered back downtown for lunch at Ayala's and then decided to travel to Tenacatita, a Mexico beach, for skin diving, and after a pleasant dip we had a chilled beer, then it was time to head home and think about dinner.