from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Fastened by lapping one edge of the front of a garment well over the other and usually having a double row of buttons with a row of buttonholes. Used especially of a coat or jacket.
- adjective Having a double-breasted coat.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Made alike on both sides of the breast, as a coat or waistcoat having two rows of buttons and buttonholes, so that it may be buttoned on either side.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Folding or lapping over on the breast, with a row of buttons and buttonholes on each side.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of a jacket or coat Closing with a double row of
buttonsthat form a wide overlap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective (of clothing) fastened by lapping one edge of the front well over the other usually with a double row of buttons
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Style mavens, please note that Bottega Veneta and Dunhill amongst others showed narrow-cut double-breasted suits on the runway for summer.
Without him, the workplace would still be full of untidy-looking blokes in unsuitable double-breasted, roomy suits thank you, Giorgio Armani and "American Gigolo".
Acne's double-breasted jacket and M by Missoni's wide palazzo pants are great and more flattering than drop waists if – like me – you're a bit pear.
Allen-who portrayed himself as worth more than $350 million even though federal records show his annual income was less than $18,000-stood in his trademark gray slacks and double-breasted, blue blazer and responded with what
From a smoke-colored twill kilt worn over a skinny trouser, to a jet wool cashmere utility vest worn over a charcoal-striped tweed double-breasted chesterfield, Mr. Chai delivered, literally, new dimensions to his love of slouchy elegance to sublime effect.
My father is wearing a double-breasted blue blazer, my mother some sort of Chanel-like suit.
At Gap, for example, there's a gray check car coat for £ 79.50; at Theory, a smart, ¾ - length, burned-camel colored double-breasted wool, £ 540.
The materials are straight from the haberdashery, even with the feminine touch of a clover-leaf collar on a long, double-breasted jacket.
Marc Jacobs The fall collection from Marc Jacobs included such styles as three-piece m é lange tweed suits and long, double-breasted jackets with the feminine touch of a clover-leaf collar.
Everything Chris said, in whatever you've called trumps, plus never trust a trial lawyer who wears a double-breasted suit to work. scribbler50,