from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Closing with a narrow overlap and fastened down the front with a single row of buttons.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Having but one breast.
- Having buttons on one side only and buttonholes on the other: noting a coat, waistcoat, or other garment. Compare
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Lapping over the breast only far enough to permit of buttoning, and having buttons on one edge only.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of a jacket or coat Closing with a single row of
buttonsthat form a narrow overlap.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective (of clothing) closing with a narrow overlap and fastened with a single row of buttons
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Equally eye-catching in a light olive, four button, single-breasted suit with an ecru cotton shirt and olive silk jacquard pattern tie was his best friend, Julian, whose outfit was complemented by brown calfskin oxfords.
STEFÀN WAS DECKED OUT IN A STEEL BLUE, five-button single-breasted suit, which was accessorized by a pale gray Italian cotton shirt monogrammed with his initials, its French cuffs boasting white gold knotted links.
Dunhil Where formal dressing is concerned, traditional and classic—like this Dunhill single-breasted dinner jacket in navy with black trim £1,395—just can't be bettered.
* My tradition for the Tradition before the Tradition: I wear a suit -- not a track suit, mind you, but a charcoal, single-breasted suit replete with a white dress shirt and red necktie.
Barrel or pigeon chests shouldn't wear shawl collars for fear of looking like the aforementioned bird; on the über-broad-chested, a single-breasted suit avoids the mafia vibe; skinny and tall look more pulled-together in double-breasted.
Dior Homme Or single-breasted tuxedos from Dior Homme, like this black wool jacket £2,100, or Yves St. Laurent.
Arriving early one Saturday morning, we rummaged through the racks of cast-offs and almost immediately found a smart navy pinstripe; single-breasted, it had navy lining and flashes of red silk inside the pockets.
We waded through all the beautiful suits that had been chucked away and eventually found a smart, single-breasted, putty-coloured number from Balmain Paris.
Lewis also recommends single-breasted tuxedos from Dior and YSL.
Grooms would omit the frock coat for a plain single-breasted overcoat, and substitute the top hat or bowler with a flat cap.