from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small black-and-white sea bird (Alle alle) of the Arctic and northern Atlantic oceans, having a short bill and a stout body. Also called little auk.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small back and white seabird, of the genus Alle, of the north Atlantic; the little auk.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A guillemot (Uria grylle), of the arctic regions. Also applied to the little auk or sea dove. See under dove.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The sea-dove or little auk, Mergulus alle or Alle nigricans, a small urinatorial or diving bird of the family Alcidæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small short-billed auk abundant in Arctic regions
Diminutive of dove1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Atlantic puffin (Fratercula arctica), dovekie (little auk), razorbills (Alca torda), and black guillemots are legally hunted in Labrador.
One distressed dovekie was picked up, but failed to survive.