from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The difference in longitude between two positions as a result of movement to the east.
- noun Progress toward the east.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun Reaching the point in its diurnal motion where it crosses the prime vertical and is exactly east of the observer: said of a heavenly body.
- noun Nautical and surveying, the distance eastward from a given meridian; the distance made by a ship on an eastern course, expressed in nautical miles.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Naut. & Surv.) The distance measured toward the east between two meridians drawn through the extremities of a course; distance of departure eastward made by a vessel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun cartography The distance
eastof a standard reference meridian.
- noun nautical A distance traveled eastward.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I had now made eighty degrees easting, which is the distance from the main at which Pepys 'Island is placed in
A General History and Collection of Voyages and Travels — Volume 12 Arranged in Systematic Order: Forming a Complete History of the Origin and Progress of Navigation, Discovery, and Commerce, by Sea and Land, from the Earliest Ages to the Present Time
"They talk about running the easting down," Mr. Pike chortled to me, as we clung to the poop-rail to keep from fetching away and breaking ribs and necks.
And yet here you are, with all the stuff of the sea in you, running down your easting for port.
Gale follows gale, always from the west, and we make easting.
And each time the eternal west wind smote him back and he made easting.
It is then converted to easting, northing, lat and long so it can be used in a variety of apps.
This picture of Jesus easting cuy is found in Cusco cathedral, it is great!
I enjoy dominion over you and easting you too, more then you can even comprehend!
Ideally we'd publish NG, easting/northing and lat/long, because the stored data can be pushed through any transformations in the publication process.
Using these values, we can state that the easting as being 916 and the northing as 944.