from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Greatest in age or seniority. See Usage Note at elder1.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. superlative form of old: most old.; greatest in age or seniority.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Oldest; longest in duration.
- adj. Born or living first, or before the others, as a son, daughter, brother, etc.; first in origin. See Elder.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Oldest; most advanced in age; that was born first: as, the eldest son or daughter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the offspring who came first in the order of birth
- adj. first in order of birth
Otto is what I called my eldest son who is in the imperial navy!
They are brothers; and the eldest is a baronet, has a good estate, a wife and three or four children.
Usually, the 2nd, 3rd and 5th sons are sprawled on our bed while watching cartoons on cable TV; the eldest is engrossed on highstreet 5 while the 4th son plays mafia wars on facebook.
Anonymous said ... took my teens school clothes shopping, find it hard to believe my eldest is going off to college and my youngest is starting 11th grade. wow I am feeling old!
We have 2 boys, the eldest is circed, the youngest is not ..
My eldest is a No. 1 hunter and fisherman, the two younger ones like hunting but not as much as they like to fish (which is fine with me).
This time there are 2 kids and the eldest is old enough to know that Daddy's gone.
Peter Wiggin, the eldest, is a cruel and sadistic boy with grandiose but entirely plausible ideas of ruling the world.
Rose, the eldest, is in the lead and she realizes something is terribly wrong before she sees what's the matter.
Well, today was another day I kind of went off-list in terms of my goals, but I do have a good reason for it, unfortunately - the reason being that a friend of mine has recently been diagnosed with Hodgkins lymphoma - she's got three kids under 5 (for another few weeks - then there are two birthdays - but still) - her eldest is in the same class as Alex.