from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The ordinal number matching the number one in a series.
- noun The one coming, occurring, or ranking before or above all others.
- noun The beginning; the outset.
- noun Music The voice or instrument highest in pitch or carrying the principal part.
- noun The transmission gear or corresponding gear ratio used to produce the range of lowest drive speeds in a motor vehicle.
- noun The winning position in a contest.
- noun First base.
- noun A first baseman.
- adjective Corresponding in order to the number one.
- adjective Coming before all others in order or location.
- adjective Occurring or acting before all others in time; earliest.
- adjective Ranking above all others, as in importance or quality; foremost.
- adjective Music Being highest in pitch or carrying the principal part.
- adjective Of, relating to, or being the transmission gear or corresponding gear ratio used to produce the range of lowest drive speeds in a motor vehicle.
- adjective Of, related to, or being a member of the US president's household.
- adverb Before or above all others in time, order, rank, or importance.
- adverb For the first time.
- adverb Rather; preferably.
- adverb In the first place; to begin with; firstly.
- idiom (off/thing) From the start; immediately.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Being before all others; being the initial unit or aggregate in order of occurrence or arrangement as to time, place, or rank: the ordinal of one.
- Foremost in time; preceding all others of the kind in order of time: as, Adam was the first man; I was the first guest to arrive.
- Foremost in place; before all others from the point of view or consideration: as, the first man in a rank or line.
- Foremost in importance or estimation; before or superior to all others in character, quality, or degree: as, Demosthenes was the first orator of Greece; the part of first villain in a play; wheat of the first grade; specifically, in music, highest or chief among several voices or instruments of the same class: as, first alto; first horn.
- Synonyms Primary, primordial, original, primitive, pristine, earliest. See comparison under primary.
- Highest, chief, principal, capital, foremost, leading.
- noun That which is first; the beginning. or that which makes or constitutes a beginning.
- noun In music: The voice or instrument that takes the highest or chief part in its class, especially in an orchestra or chorus; a leader of a part or group of performers.
- noun The interval and concord of the unison or prime. See
- noun Same as
first base(which see, above).
- noun The highest rank in an examination for honors: as, he got a first in mathematics. See
- noun Immediately.
- Before all others in place or progression, rank, order of time, etc.
- Hence Sooner; before doing or suffering (that is, so as not to do or suffer) some act or result: as, I will not do it, I will die first.
- noun Time; time granted; respite: same as
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Preceding all others of a series or kind; the ordinal of one; earliest
- adjective Foremost; in front of, or in advance of, all others.
- adjective Most eminent or exalted; most excellent; chief; highest.
- adjective See under
- adjective from the first or original source; without the intervention of any agent.
- adjective (Plastering) the solid foundation of coarse stuff, on which the rest is placed; it is thick, and crossed with lines, so as to give a bond for the next coat.
- adjective Sunday; -- so called by the Friends.
- adjective [U.S.], [Eng.] The floor next above the ground floor.
- adjective (Feudal Law), (Eng. Eccl. Law) The earliest effects or results.
- adjective an officer in a merchant vessel next in rank to the captain.
- adjective same as Christian name. See under
- adjective (Naut.) in the merchant service, same as First mate (above).
- adjective (Mil.) the ranking non-commissioned officer in a company; the orderly sergeant.
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word first.
I recognize this puts me a bit at odds with the first commenter, but Epicurious is usually my *first* archive to search, given how it draws on decades of recipes from Gourmet and Bon Appetit.
Bitten Back: Readers’ Thoughts on the Best Cookbooks - Bitten Blog - NYTimes.com 2008
Promoted to Headline (H3) on 6/26/08: Why were 'first responders' de-contaminated at the Pentagon? yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Why were \'first responders\' de-contaminated at the Pentagon? '
Why were 'first responders' de-contaminated at the Pentagon? 2008
A lot of this work has produced some exciting physical chemistry including the first observation of gravitational separation of isotopes and gases in a column..first predicted by Gibbs and observed many tens of decades later.
The music played in the orchestra was very beautiful; and the officer, who had behaved so politely to us in permitting the gates, on the first night of our arrival, to be opened, seated on a high stool, rose conspicuously above the other musicians, and seemed indeed the _first fiddle_.
A Yacht Voyage to Norway, Denmark, and Sweden 2nd edition William A. Ross
To manure their date-groves they use the fins of a species of ray fish called _awwal_, steeped in water till they are putrid; _awwal_, by the way, was an ancient name of the Island of Bahrein, perhaps because it was the first island of the group in size, _awwal_ in Arabic meaning _first_.
Southern Arabia Mabel Bent
She feared that when for the first time I found myself not _first_ considered in all arrangements, I might fail in those particular points of conduct in which she was most anxious I should triumph.
The Story of the White-Rock Cove Anonymous
Of course, at such first meeting, all the preliminaries prescribed as forming the _first_ movement of the act should be carried out _to the limit_.
Sane Sex Life and Sane Sex Living Some Things That All Sane People Ought to Know About Sex Nature and Sex Functioning; Its Place in the Economy of Life, Its Proper Training and Righteous Exercise
The first legislature of Virginia was convened under the administration of Governor Sir George Yeardley, in the year 1626; but before this we find, during the _first_ administration of Governor
The International Monthly Magazine, Volume 5, No. 1, January, 1852 Various
A mortality of 53 for the first four years of life is smaller than any district known in the United States, even to-day, can show for the _first_ year of life _alone_.
Applied Eugenics Paul Popenoe 1933
Aesthetic_ that the _concept_ depends upon the _intuition_, which is the first degree, the primary and indispensable thing, so it is proved in the _Philosophy of the Practical_ that _Morality_ or _Ethic_ depends upon _Economic_, which is the _first_ degree of the practical activity.
Aesthetic as Science of Expression and General Linguistic Benedetto Croce 1909
yarb commented on the word first
I take pleasure in being first to disembark buses, planes, trains and ferries.
April 30, 2010
TankHughes commented on the word first
Awwww, I just saw the first comment for this and I thought I could be "First! on first, but no.
April 15, 2019
bilby commented on the word first
Clear runway over at firstest.
April 22, 2019