from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Serving to make ready or prepare; introductory. synonym: preliminary.
- adjective Relating to or engaged in study or training that serves as preparation for advanced education.
- adverb In preparation for. Used with to:
from The Century Dictionary.
- Preparing or serving to prepare the way for something to follow; antecedent; preparative; introductory: as, to adopt preparatory measures.
- In course of preparation; receiving preparative instruction or training: as, a preparatory student.
- noun A preparative.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective Preparing the way for anything by previous measures of adaptation; antecedent and adapted to what follows; introductory; preparative
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective of or pertaining to
preparation, having the purpose of making something or someone ready, preparative
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective preceding and preparing for something
Sorry, no etymologies found.
What I say is there was a plan that General Franks drafted of $700 million, a project, what they called preparatory tasks, to be taken in Kuwait, in countries in the Middle East, that would put him in a better position if there was war.
(which they call the preparatory), and being cold by being forced to sit with my hat off close to a window in the Hall, Sir W. Pen and I to the
The testimonials from the Rabin preparatory course have a similar feel: soldiers talking about their war experiences - what they saw, what they heard, what they felt good about, what they didn't feel good about.
Tuesday's meeting between Nirupama Rao and her Pakistani counterpart Salman Bashir was described as preparatory.
When I do see them, it will be the full effect, all at once, rather than in preparatory stages.
Dr. Rogge was involved in preparatory research work for the establishment of the Common Market on behalf of the European Coal and Steel Community.
Here a most intensive training schedule was carried out over selected trenches and terrain preparatory to the attack on the Hindenburg Line, the importance of which was not realized until about ten days later.
THIS EDITION of Sephadi coincides with an important period in the political life of our movement, namely our preparatory work for the 52nd National Conference.
It was called a preparatory school, prep school, like a Catholic minor seminary, and there are two Lutheran seminaries, and then I went into my life work of teaching, and I got my Ph.D. at the University of Chicago.
Matching the leaping wraith's agility, Simna raised his sword preparatory to fending off the attack.