from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of crown.
- adj. Supreme; of a surpassing quality or quantity.
- n. A coronation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Completing; perfecting; finishing.
- n. The act or ceremony of investing with a crown or regal authority and dignity; coronation.
- n. The tonsure of the clergy.
- n. Something that crowns, terminates, or finishes.
- n. Something convex at the top: as, the crowning or crown of a causeway; specifically, the bulge or swell in the center of a band-pulley.
- n. In fortification, a position on the crest of the glacis secured by the besiegers by means of the sap or otherwise. It is protected by a parapet, and places the besiegers in a situation to become masters of the covered way.
- n. In agriculture, the cutting off of the crown, as of sugar-beets. See crown, 12 .
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. representing a level of the highest possible achievement or attainment
- adj. forming or providing a crown or summit
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Maida and Beechy had already been for a walk with Sir Ralph and Mr. Barrymore, who had taken them up by a labyrinth of wooded paths to an old ruined castle which they described as crowning the head of the promontory.
D'Souza began his storied career with his own vision, as he climbed the ranks from a secretary to the Archbishop studying architecture, to an associate pastor in Malton, a pastor in Don Mills, and then to what he calls his crowning achievement - the building of the St. Francis church on Mavis Rd. from the ground up in 1999.
Her biggest crowning is the constant defending and making excuses for her husband.
Around 50 descendants of King Euichin, a brother of the last king Sunjong, declared Princess Lee Hae-Won the new "Empress" of the monarchy in what they called a crowning ceremony.
With this in mind it is surprising perhaps there is no mention in the instruction manual of how the spray jets will create that essential air space - you know, that space we know as the crowning glory of the conventional condom.
USATODAY. com - Protective soccer headgear to debut in crowning event
Protective soccer headgear to debut in crowning event
(AP) - Robert Trent Jones, whose challenging golf course designs annually play a role in crowning champions at the sport's major events, has died.
With just two stages to go before his almost certain crowning Sunday in Paris,
I can remember the dominant figure of Sir Robert Borden, whose work in crowning Canada with its truce insignia of nationhood must never be forgotten.