from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The upper segment of the sternum
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A median bone connected with the sternum, in many vertebrates; the interclavicle.
- n. Same as epiplastron.
- n. One of the lateral pieces next to the sternum in the thorax of insects.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mammals, the manubrium sterni: the presternum of most authors.
- n. In lower vertebrates, some presternal part. See interclavicle.
- n. In entomology, the anterior one of the three sclerites into which the propleuron, the mesopleuron, and the metapleuron of an insect are severally typically divisible, lying above the sternum, below the tergum, and in front of an epimeron.
- n. In Chelonia, same as epiplastron: so called by most anatomists, who have considered it an element of a sternum. See second cut under Chelonia.
- n. plural In comparative anatomy, the lateral pieces of the inferior or ventral are of the somite of a crustacean.
- n. In spatangoid sea-urchins, the third pair of plates on the ventral face of the posterior interradius.
epi- + sternum (Wiktionary)
Parapteron - era: small sclerites, articulated to the dorsal extremity of the episternum, just below the wings; absent on prothorax = the tegulae of Hymenoptera, and patagia of Lepidoptera: have been homologized with the elytra of Coleoptera.