from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A planet, especially Venus or Mercury, that is prominent in the west shortly after sunset.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The planet Venus as seen in the western sky in the evening.
- n. Less commonly, the planet Mercury as seen in the western sky in the evening.
- n. A common evening primrose, Oenothera biennis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a planet (usually Venus) seen at sunset in the western sky
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Once more I saw the evening star hanging like a solitaire from the pure front of the western firmament; and the after glow transfiguring and transforming, as by magic, the homely and rugged features of the scene into a fairy land lit with a light which never shines on other soils or seas.
The fire-flies now gleam through the air like living diamonds, and the evening star has opened her golden eye in the rich deep azure of the sky.