from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of extinguishing, putting out, or quenching, or the state of being extinguished.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of extinguishing, putting out, or quenching, or the state of being extinguished; extinction; suppression; destruction; nullification.
- n. The annihilation or extinction of a right or obligation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of extinguishing; a bringing to an end: as, the extinguishment of a fire, or of life.
- n. In law, the extinction or annihilation of a right, an estate, etc., by merging or consolidating it with another, generally with one greater or more extensive.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But language urging the "extinguishment" of second liens carries the effect of principal forgiveness, rather than forbearance.
Nisga'a "extinguishment" agreement is widely considered a template for these negotiations, which the federal and provincial governments are eager to complete.
Excluding items, restructuring-related and debt extinguishment charges, the loss was 18 cents.
Excluding charges from restructuring and debt-extinguishment, earnings slipped to 24 cents a share from 30 cents.
Excluding debt-extinguishment costs and tax-related items, earnings were up at 67 cent from 44 cents.
Rural/Metro, which is based in Scottsdale, Okla., reported in February that its fiscal second-quarter loss narrowed as revenue rose 6% and losses on debt extinguishment fell sharply.
Excluding items such as a loss on early extinguishment of debt, earnings fell to six cents a share from 20 cents.
Net income for the second quarter included a loss on early extinguishment of debt of $7.6 million incurred in connection with a refinancing in April.
Net income decreased 23% to $27 million for fiscal 2010 due to a $62 million pretax loss on debt extinguishment.
The latest period included $17 million in charges from the early extinguishment of $1.0 billion in borrowings and $21 million of investment portfolio securities gains.