from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Capable of compensating automatically and safely for a failure, as of a mechanism or power source.
- adjective Acting to discontinue a military attack on the occurrence of any of various predetermined conditions.
- adjective Guaranteed not to fail.
- noun A fail-safe mechanism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- adjective That doesn't cause undue damage, in the event of failure.
- noun A fail-safe device or mechanism.
- verb To
compensateautomatically, in the event of a failure.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective eliminating danger by compensating automatically for a failure or malfunction
- noun a mechanism capable of returning to a safe state in case there is a failure or malfunction
- adjective guaranteed not to fail
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.