from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A material consisting of extremely fine glass fibers, used in making various products, such as yarns, fabrics, insulators, and structural objects or parts. Also called spun glass.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. US spelling of fibreglass

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. a material made of fine glass fibers woven into a fabric-like form, and used in applications requiring heat resistance; it is also embedded in resins to make a pliable but strong composite material used as the main component of fishing rods and boat hulls, and replacing the sheet metal in some automobile bodies.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a covering material made of glass fibers in resins


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.