from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small bowl that holds water for rinsing the fingers at the table.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small bowl of warm water placed at each seat at a fancy dinner for the guests to rinse their fingers with between courses.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a bowl or glass to hold water for rinsing the fingers at table.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A bowl or glass for holding the water used to cleanse the fingers at table. Also finger-glass.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small bowl for rinsing the fingers at table
Sorry, no etymologies found.
There, Tran had set out a large mixing bowl with a bowling-ball lump of moistened flour, a container with ground up crabmeat, scallions, onions, and paprika, and a small finger bowl of lemon water.