from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various tropical American click beetles of the genus Pyrophorus, especially P. noctilucus, having bright, luminous spots.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A brilliantly luminous beetle, Pyrophorus noctilucus, one of the elaters.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See in the Vocabulary.
- A very brilliantly luminous beetle (Pyrophorus noctilucus), one of the elaters, found in Central and South America; -- called also cucujo. The name is also applied to other species. See firefly.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical American click beetle having bright luminous spots
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.