from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of flowing or overflowing.
- n. The state of being flooded.
- n. A body of water, such as a lake or reservoir, formed by usually deliberate flooding.
- n. An outflow or overflow.
- n. The gradual plastic deformation of a solid body, as by heat.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flowing or overflowing of liquid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An overflowing with water; also, the water which thus overflows.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of flowing; the state of being flowed.
- n. In mech., gradual internal motion or deformation, without fracture, of a viscous solid such as asphalt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. gradual internal motion or deformation of a solid body (as by heat)
- n. a body of water that has been created by deliberately flooding an area
- n. the act of flooding; filling to overflowing
He said he would use some kind of flowage, and hoped that when the lawyers got done talking in court it would be decided that the aforesaid nat'ral flowage was the kind that had been used by him. "
We have to anchor the boat and walk through shallows to get to the mouth of a tiny mangrove - and cypress-lined flowage that Willcox says is home to my redfish.
Smelled it one other time too a long way from that flowage, .. but it was pretty much the same "knock you down" kind of stench.
I was fishing a flowage, .. had rowed into a bay and was trying to get a cast to parallel (sp?) a down pine tree,.
The going was easy at first, until he got to the section of the rope that had dangled in the flowage.
He used this opportunity to find a foothold and then haul himself up out of the flowage.
One of my favorites was told by veteran guide Mac Hurd as he steered his Grand Laker canoe to a remote lunch spot with a picnic table on the St. Croix flowage.
She hoped she would know what the flowage was when she got there.
Lindstrom pulled into the parking area of a small picnic ground along the flowage.
They kept to the road until they were within a hundred yards of the flowage, then Cork moved into the cover of the trees.