from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place providing support for the foot in climbing or standing.
- n. A firm or secure position that provides a base for further advancement.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A solid grip with the feet.
- n. airhead, beachhead, bridgehead, lodgement.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A holding with the feet; firm standing; that on which one may tread or rest securely; footing.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That which sustains the feet firmly and prevents them from slipping; that on which one may stand or tread securely; hence, firm standing; footing; stable position; settlement; establishment.
- n. A kind of light india-rubber overshoe, leaving the heel unprotected; a sandal. Sometimes called tip.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a place providing support for the foot in standing or climbing
- n. an initial accomplishment that opens the way for further developments
- n. an area in hostile territory that has been captured and is held awaiting further troops and supplies
One such provision is his Free Choice Voucher, which he described as a "foothold for choice and competition and a safety valve for Americans whose employers are already forcing them to bear more and more of their family's health insurance costs."
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
It starts off with a big roof about three feet off the ground, which fortunately has really good hands above it -- but that means your first foothold is at waist level.
November 19th, 2005 at 6: 57 pm bdub says: â€œAll tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. â€ – Thomas Jefferson
A REAL FATHER! says: â€œAll tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent. â€ – Thomas Jefferson
“All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”
Only time will tell if this strategy will secure them a long term foothold, but one things sure, Microsoft has the money to play in any game they want.
The foreign banks are here to make a profit for their parents, but even if the competitive environment makes it difficult to produce a very good rate of return, most of the parents would probably still feel that a Canadian foothold is a worthwhile part of their worldwide business.
Reversal from 1.3691/1.3677 zone found a short-term foothold at 1.3416 yesterday.
Of course, one could argue that the Cons might be able to establish a better long-term foothold if they do get a majority mandate.