from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun An instrument resembling a pair of pincers or tongs, used for grasping, manipulating, or extracting, especially such an instrument used by a surgeon.
  • noun A pincerlike pair of movable appendages at the posterior end of the abdomen in certain insects, such as earwigs.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun An instrument, such as pincers or tongs, used for seizing, holding, or moving objects which it would be impracticable to manipulate with the fingers.
  • noun In zoology and anatomy, some part or process of the body like a forceps; any forcipate organ.
  • noun See the qualifying words.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A pair of pinchers, or tongs; an instrument for grasping, holding firmly, or exerting traction upon, bodies which it would be inconvenient or impracticable to seize with the fingers, especially one for delicate operations, as those of watchmakers, surgeons, accoucheurs, dentists, etc.
  • noun (Zoöl.) The caudal forceps-shaped appendage of earwigs and some other insects. See Earwig.
  • noun See under Dressing.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun An instrument used in surgery or medical procedures for grasping and holding objects, similar to tongs or pincers. (With singular or plural concord.)

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun an extractor consisting of a pair of pincers used in medical treatment (especially for the delivery of babies)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Latin, fire tongs, pincers; see gwher- in Indo-European roots.]



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.