from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act or the habit of inquiring freely into the truth of a fact or point of faith in which authority requires implicit belief: especially applied to skeptical inquiry into the supernatural elements of Christianity.
- Holding the principles of a free-thinker; untrammeled or bold in speculation; hence, deistical; skeptical.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adjective inclined to forms one's own opinions rather than depend upon authority, especially about social and religious issues; exhibiting boldness of speculation; skeptical of authority.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adjective unwilling to accept authority or dogma (especially in religion)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The newspaper said its cover story was a reaction to the victory of an Islamic party, Nahda, in Tunisia's elections of a constitutional assembly last month, and that Charlie Hebdo wouldn't deviate from its "free-thinking" editorial line after the fire.
It becomes deeply disconcerting when free-thinking people start drinking the Islamic Republic's Kool Aid by using the concept of "culture" and "religion" to provide justification for the violations of the rights of women.
We see how you free-thinking fornicationists work as surgeons of society's soul, taking scalpels to the sermons, splicing them into wild new principles and axioms, excising the obsolete and grafting in your golden "rules" -- imperatives so abstract they simply must be interpreted anew for every context.
As Mr. Stubbs shows, some were associated with the free-thinking philosopher Thomas Hobbes and his circle of religious skeptics.
Mr. Lloyd believes that Higgins somehow posthumously led him to Eric Harland, who is among jazz's most able and free-thinking drummers.
* All other views are strictly prohibited for fear of free-thinking.
The more free-thinking venues supporting the career development of writers the better.
I'm not sure of the allegations made about Ian, but he is clearly one of the more free-thinking and radical members of the PLP.
And we free-thinking individuals are free to disagree with her.
Like her mother, Ella is a free-thinking and spirited girl, but when Mum dies and her father remarries, life starts to take a turn for the worse.