from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A membranous fold of skin or mucous membrane that supports or restricts the movement of a part or organ, such as the small band of tissue that connects the underside of the tongue to the floor of the mouth.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of frenulum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A cheek stripe of color.
- n. Same as Frænum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, a ligament or fold of membrane which checks or restrains the motion of a part: as, the frenum linguæ, or bridle of the tongue. See below.
- n. In entomology, a strong membrane or chitinous ridge extending from the scutellum to the base of each anterior wing. It is prominent in the cicadas and some other insects.
It is added that Constantine declared all the canons of Rome consuls and patricians — “patricios et consules effici” — that he himself held the bridle of the mare on which the new bishop was mounted — “tenentes frenum equi illius.”
My 8 year old son received a knock to the face and his frenum tore.
Most of the time a frenum is not the problem in these cases.
If a young child has hit his mouth, and there is lots of blood especially on his upper teeth lip area, look and see if it might just be a torn maxillary frenum.
However, sometimes we will recommend surgically clipping the frenum to allow more natural movement, especially if it is really tight or in some other way interfering with normal movement.
They told us not to worry about it that she would be fine and only had a slightly torn frenum.
Now just clipping the frenum will not necessarily correct a speech problem.
Infants may have a frenum that concerns a parent who is having nursing problems.
If it was a frenum tear, yes those heal, but not back quite so tightly, which is usually a good thing.
It will cost over a thousand dollars to extract two teeth and clip her lingual frenum, and I have to pay for almost seven hundred of that.