from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • adj. Covered with a lattice-like pattern of diagonally interlaced bendlets and bendlets sinister.
  • adj. Peevish, inclined to fret, agitated, worrying.
  • adj. Inflamed, like a sore.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • adj. Adorned with fretwork.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • Adorned with fretwork.
  • In heraldry, covered with a grating composed of narrow pieces, as bendlets, fillets, etc., crossing one another and interlacing. Also fretté.


From fret (from Old French frette, frete 'lattice, trellis', probably from Frankish *fetur) + -ty (a form of -y). (Wiktionary)
from to fret 'eat/wear away, irritate' (from Old English ) + -ty (a form of -y) (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • The definitions make me think of the interlaced upper crust of a pie, or those cheap panels of skirting that grace the bottom of mobile homes. I prefer the former.

    October 5, 2011