from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Ethylene glycol.
- n. Any of various alcohols containing two hydroxyl groups.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any aliphatic diol.
- n. A thick, colourless liquid, C2H4(OH)2, of a sweetish taste, produced artificially from certain ethylene compounds and used as an antifreeze; ethylene glycol.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A thick, colorless liquid, C2H4(OH)2, of a sweetish taste, produced artificially from certain ethylene compounds. It is a diacid alcohol, intermediate between ordinary ethyl alcohol and glycerin.
- n. Any one of the large class of diacid alcohols, of which glycol proper is the type.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The general name of a class of compounds intermediate in their properties and chemical relations between alcohol and glycerol, or the bodies of which these are the types.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a sweet but poisonous syrupy liquid used as an antifreeze and solvent
- n. any of a class of alcohols having 2 hydroxyl groups in each molecule
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Mike Brady, chief executive of the Los Angeles company, says they contain methylene glycol, which is formaldehyde that has reacted with water, not formaldehyde per se.
Blumenfeld mentions that e-liquids are largely unregulated and contain propylene glycol, which is a key ingredient in antifreeze but also one found in tobacco cigarettes and some foods.
His death was originally ruled a suicide by ingesting ethylene glycol, which is found in anti-freeze, but detectives continued to investigate the death, eventually ruling it a homicide.
JOSHUA SHARFSTEIN, FDA PRINCIPAL DEPUTY COMMISSIONER: We found varying levels of nicotine, carcinogens, which are cancer - causing chemicals, and even a poison in it, the ethylene glycol, which is found in anti-freeze.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: We found varying levels of nicotine, carcinogens, which are cancer-causing chemicals, and even a poison, and it's ethylene glycol, which is found in antifreeze.
An FBI bulletin said that preliminary chemical analysis revealed the presence of ethylene glycol, which is used in coolants and antifreezes.
A viscous liquid called glycol borate -- "gu" -- instead of distilled water.
The cap is lined with polyethylene terephthalate, or PETE, made from ethylene glycol, which is made from ethylene and ultimately tied to the products of photosynthesis millions of years ago.
We have found imported Chinese toothpaste in the U.S. that was contaminated with diethylene glycol, which is a toxic component used in antifreeze.
Authorities believe that for a period of time in Massachusetts, James Keown had slowly been poisoning his wife with ethylene glycol, which is the main ingredient in antifreeze, commonly used in automobiles.