from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- intransitive v. To march in such a way that the legs swing sharply from the hips and the knees are locked.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A style of marching in which the feet are lifted high in the air in front.
- v. To march with a goose-step.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Milit., the marking of time by raising the feet alternately without making progress.
- n. An exercise in military gymnastics in which the body is balanced on one foot while the other is swung forward and backward as if on the march, but without advancing, the object being to give the soldier an upright carriage in marching.
- n. A marching step in which the feet are raised high above the ground, as when on review.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It required no revolution of his nature to learn to calculate the range and fire a field-gun or to march the goose-step.
Gary Robert JonesLlanelli• Mildred Bailey gave a warning of what can happen if your dancing instruction is inadequate Letters, 13 May in the 1941 recording Arthur Murray Taught Me Dancing In A Hurry: "My tango resembles a two-step, my rumba makes people turn pale, my conga goes into a goose-step, 'til the FBI is dogging my trail."
I mean the outfits are snazzy, but they really need to work on the goose-step.
The GOP has no problem dumping anyone from their ranks who hasn't signed their declaration of values contract to goose-step to their leaders whim.
McCain has simply decided that his political weathervane is advising him to walk in goose-step with the conservative leadership within the GOP.
And, I refuse to learn how to goose-step with the boys in black.
WAIT ... this isn't Iran, this is America where we covet the freedom of our vote and aren't expected to goose-step with the elected leader.
I can see it know good ole Captain America with a goose-step!
Are his legs long enough to have knees or does he goose-step everywhere?
Someone has the audacity to not fall into goose-step with the Obama supporters and his is "dumb."