from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The characteristic or quality of being groggy.
- n. Tenderness or stiffness in the foot of a horse, resulting in a hobbling gait.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. State of being groggy.
- n. Tenderness or stiffness in the foot of a horse, which causes him to move in a hobbling manner.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being groggy, or somewhat under the influence of liquor; tipsiness; the state of being unsteady or stupid from drink.
- n. Hence In farriery, a tenderness or stiffness in the foot of a horse or a weakness in the fore legs, which causes him to move in a hobbling, staggering manner, often produced by much work on hard ground or pavements.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a groggy state resulting from weariness
- n. a dazed and staggering state caused by alcohol
- n. marginal consciousness
Sorry this entry has meandered so; can I claim it's grogginess from the cold?
The small amount of caffeine helps not because it "speeds up your metabolism", but because it gets rid of the grogginess.
It was a feeling I would come to know well—the haze and the grogginess—almost as well as its opposite (lack-of-sleep inertia), during the three years I would spend in the Boston Combined Residency Program (BCRP) in pediatrics.
However, research has repeatedly shown that when supplementing 7-9 hours of sleep, 20-30 minute naps do offer these benefits, particularly when taken between the hours of 10 to 11 a.m. or 2 to 4 p.m., when human sleep rhythms trigger a natural slump with grogginess and lack of focus.
I know better but in my grogginess I forgot and thought, Stupid bird.
"In my head, it's bedtime now," she claims, although outwardly, at least, she isn't showing any signs of grogginess.
The idea is that being jarred awake from deep sleep leads to grogginess.
LOS ANGELES & mdash; Andrea Ybarra's donated heart was beating rhythmically by the time she awoke from the grogginess of her surgery.
I immediately forgot everything about the conversation other than the way I felt as I fought through my grogginess: anxious to the point of nausea.
Whether it was playing with my baseball-card collection or drawing a picture of a cartoon character, I kept myself busy until the inevitable grogginess got the best of my fight to stay awake.