from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n.pl. Pains in the limbs and joints of children or adolescents, often attributed to rapid growth but arising from various unrelated causes.
- n.pl. Emotional difficulties that occur during adolescence.
- n.pl. Problems that arise in the initiation or enlargement of an enterprise.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. generalized pains in the limbs or joints of adolescents (from many causes)
- n. emotional or social problems associated with adolescence
- n. difficulties that arise in the early stages of any project
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pain in muscles or joints sometimes experienced by children and often attributed to rapid growth
- n. problems that arise in enlarging an enterprise (especially in the early stages)
- n. emotional distress arising during adolescence
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Feeling the growing pains along with them, I rooted for Jordan and the Bulls to overcome not only the insurmountable hurdle that was the Detroit Pistons, but the psychological burden of growth they failed to embrace.