from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun The narrowest of the metal spaces used for separating words or letters.
  • noun A similar narrow space used in formatting text.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun The thinnest space used by printers.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A piece of metal type used to create the narrowest space.
  • noun typography The narrowest space appearing between letters and punctuation.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun (printing) the narrowest of the spaces used to separate words or letters


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.