from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The relationship existing between persons having only one parent in common.
- noun A person existing in such a relationship.
- noun Often Offensive A person of mixed racial descent, especially a person of Native American and white parentage.
- noun A half-blooded domestic animal.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The relation between persons born of the same father or mother, but not of the same father and mother: as, a brother or sister of the half-blood.
- noun One of two or more persons so related.
- noun One born of a male and female of different breeds or races; a half-breed.
- Having descent from one of the same parents as another, but not from both.
- Belonging by blood half to one breed or race, and half to another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- The relation between persons born of the same father or of the same mother, but not of both. See
blood, n., 2 and 4.
- A person so related to another.
- A person whose father and mother are of different races; a half-breed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun law A person shares one parent with another; a
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun one of siblings who have only one parent in common
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.